Advancements in dentistry have led to the discovery of new safer and more natural-looking materials for use in repairing and replacing teeth. Patients today can choose tooth-colored dental fillings for the repair of small areas of tooth decay, cracks, chips, or wear at Safe Dental Care in Oxnard, CA.
In the past, teeth were filled with amalgam or a mixture of different metals. But with many patients seeking tooth repair also focusing on aesthetically pleasing results, it is important that the cavity filling looks and reacts more like natural teeth.
Natural-looking and metal-free dental fillings have become the preferred approach for tooth repair. Dr. Farhad Safe recommends the use of tooth-like materials, like composite resins and porcelains because they are both safe and predictable. The material also helps to restore the shape and strength of damaged teeth, and to conceal and correct cosmetic flaws.
Amalgam Vs. Composite Fillings
The traditional silver-colored amalgam filling materials have a number of drawbacks including:
- Unnatural appearance that made an obvious impact on appearance
- The amalgam material expands and contracts at a higher rate than tooth structure, and this can damage the tooth or allow bacteria to accumulate between the filling and enamel
- Healthy tooth structure has to be removed in order to create wedges that hold the filling in place
- Patients with allergies or sensitivities to metal could experience itching, irritation, or other symptoms following the placement of amalgam fillings
Fortunately, tooth-colored composite resin addresses all of these concerns, creating a natural looking, long lasting dental restoration. Tooth-colored resin is shaded to blend seamlessly into the smile.
Other reasons to use tooth-colored material include:
- Stronger teeth - The composite seeps into small pits and grooves in teeth, creating a solid bond that strengthens the remaining tooth structure.
- Resistance to fracture - The tooth-colored filling material expands and contracts at a rate much closer to natural tooth structure, and it is less likely to break away from the tooth or create further damage.
- Safe - The completely metal-free restoration is safe and effective for patients with metal allergies.
Composite resins, or tooth-colored fillings can be used on either front or back teeth. They are a good choice for people who prefer that their fillings look more natural. Please visit Dr. Farhad in Oxnard, CA to find out if you’re a good candidate for tooth-colored fillings.